Saturday, August 13, 2011

Everyone's Napping, but ME!!! Let's... be in the moment.

Every so often, I have the chance to have complete silence in the household, even though everyone is home.  Right now is one of those times, and I really don't know what to do with it.  I've browsed facebook, googled myself, googled my husband, my daughter and my cat... Then I realized, why not do something kind of productive with my time, rather than just wasting it.


So, here I am, sharing my thoughts again.  What can I say, this parenting adventure is more amazing than I had ever imagined.  I must say, my daughter's genius shows itself again and again.  She is so clear headed and free, and I often reminisce as far back as I can remember, searching for a time when I felt that liberated.  I can remember times when I would run around the backyard and jump in the pool without even a second thought. I can remember nothing really mattered except being totally in the moment.  And I guess that's what my daughter does.  She is completely in the moment, not worrying about what's going to happen next or holding onto the upsettedness she felt 5 minutes before when she didn't get the popsicle she wanted.  She has taught me to be totally present.  I find at times this can be exhausting and I literally have to do my mind numbing facebook or take some time out to watch tv so I can just recoup.  She, on the other hand, never seems to need this. 


I know there is this "circle of life" and from what I've experienced, having kids and a family are definitely essential in this "circle".  My daughter has brought me to where she is starting and is reteaching me the lessons I have forgotten.  As a child I always felt in a rush to grow older, but not mature too fast.  And now that I've discovered somehow I have grown older, and I am now that adult, that my childhood seemed to have gone so quickly.  I am looking forward to reliving my childhood through and with my daughter.  I consider it a blessing and a privilege to be given the opportunity to do this.  And if I can have another son or daughter and have the opportunity to relive it even an additional time, I will consider myself one of the richest in the world.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Fortunately for me, parenting is teaching me a great deal too. The lessons I'm learning are good, although the road has been very difficult. When Everett was only a few months old and I was having a difficult time, I received advice from somebody I respected and admired: "Why did you have a baby? Did you think it'd make you a better person? It doesn't." I'm glad to now be able to say that I disagree with her and instead, feel sorry for her. (Hmm, that was a nice realization for me. I may post that on FB!)

    ReplyDelete