Saturday, October 1, 2011

Yoga, a tool for better parenting. What's your "yoga"?



I've noticed that every time I'm consistent with my yoga, I'm a better mother. I'm more engaged, more empathetic and more energized about parenting.  I've also noticed that when my thoughts are all disjointed and random and it's been a while since I've taken a yoga class, I become more reactive and I have less patience.  Little things start to bug me and  I find myself reaching for my cell phone for distraction, or lacking in imagination when I'm attempting to work something out or come up with something for Olivia.  In all honesty, I'm just not as happy with my parenting.


For me, yoga is almost a magic pill.  It gives me time to do something that is solely for me.  It's very easy being a parent to completely neglect yourself.  Everyone around me benefits in the end, but during that class, I'm breathing, stretching, holding, releasing, and just feeding myself.  I walk out feeling grounded, centered, and at peace.  I find that my decisions with Olivia come from a healthy and loving place, not overly analyzed or overly emotional, but a place of freedom and positivity.  I want to do so many things with her, I want to "show her the world"!!!!


There are times when I have this strange resistance to doing yoga.  As I write about it now, I find it odd I'd even consider NOT doing it.  Maybe it's the saboteur in me, maybe I forget how good this "life cleanse" is.  But to have something I can run to to set me back on the right track is really invaluable.  I always seem to realize something new about myself, about Olivia and just life generally.  I get out of my own way for a while and it always seems like something new is revealed to me and I can feel more forward momentum in my life.


I do understand that yoga isn't for everyone.  So, what is your "yoga", what is it that "cleans your slate", pushes your reset button...surfing, dancing, gardening... it could be almost anything.  I'm not talking going to Vegas either, you know, the authentic things that bring you back to yourself.  


All I can say is I feel blessed to have found something that helps me to see things more clearly, especially as they relate to being a mother.  I know I'll never be a "perfect" parent, but if I can use those tools that help me to be the best parent possible, then I've done something right. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment